Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sara sings: "I'm a freak bitch, BABY!"

That's right our Lady of Gaga- and I love you for it.

Since I couldn't possibly give any of a shit less about the Super Bowl, I'm gonna discuss sexy ladies. But not just ANY sexy ladies... sexy WEIRD ladies.

There seems to be a trending movement in pop music and I, personally, am all about it. I lovingly refer to it as the...  
 WEIRD AESTHETIC.

Here's some of my favorite crazy ladies in no particular order.


Lady Gaga "And, now, I’m just trying to change the world one sequin at a time." -ladygaga.com bio


Why: I love her "monster" theme. We're all monsters. We're all ugly and beautiful at the same time. We're all scary if you scratch beneath the surface. Her whole concept, to me, is about expressing what's beneath the surface without apologies. Proud to call myself a "Little Monster".


Favorite Video: Bad Romance  



(image from http://www.ladygaga.com/photos/detail.aspx?fid=16698&phid=16700)


Nicki Minaj "Ok, first things first I’ll eat your brains. Then I’mma start rocking gold teeth and fangs..." -Kanye West "Monster" lyrics feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, and Nicki Minaj

Why: Say what you want about Minaj vs. Lil' Kim blah blah blah... but it's been too long since a female has been livin large in the hip-pop game. Many have said that she's the "Rap Lady Gaga" and as a fan of both I disagree! Nicki's theme is "barbie" and she lovingly refers to her fans as something along the lines of "barbz/ken dollz/kenbarbz". Confused? There's an app for that! But I love me some Nicki Minaj! She raps, sings, acts, and has seemingly effortless haute couture sexiness. And her ass should have it's own zip code and/or religious following. What's not to love?

Favorite Video: Massive Attack




(image from http://www.mypinkfriday.com/media/photos/4451/109561)


Ke$ha "I want to show you that you can be funny and hot … you can drink and read. People are still getting used to what I am." -Kesha from quotelicious.com
Why: If you look past the auto-tuned brain crack, Kesha is really good at telling stories. Her songs take you to a moment in time... if you can stand to go there. Her theme is somewhat less concrete than Gaga or Minaj, but Kesha is all about people as "animals". Getting dirty, having fun, being wild n' out, crazy-fun-times, and dare-I-say GET SLEAZY!

Favorite Video: Take It Off 



(image from http://www.keshasparty.com/us/photos/official)


Rihanna "But you'll always be my hero even though you lost your mind." Rihanna "Love The Way You Lie Part II" lyrics feat. Eminem
Why: Rihanna is extremely successful and has demonstrated a lot of staying power. She has, what?, 5 albums that have all been chart-toppers. But, I feel like Rihanna really embraced her weird with Disturbia back in 2008 and it's only gotten better since! Her latest, S&M, has me all kerfuffled. 


Unrelated but important: I noticed a Google search term for her was "rihanna bruised"- fuck you people.  

 Favorite Video: S&M


(image from http://pointemout.com/2011/02/01/video-fab-the-premiere-of-rihannas-sm/)


Beth Ditto, lead singer of the Gossip "Everybody knows but no one can tell. A homemade haircut but she wears it well. She's a dimestore diamond." The Gossip "Dimestore Diamond" lyrics
 
Why: Because she's ah-mazing! I have to give credit to Citizen K for turning me on to The Gossip. I literally love every track on their last album Music for Men. Beth's theme, as it were, definitely has to be gay, sparkly, "I-don't-give-a-fuck", sass. She's one of those folks who may have actually supposed to been born a drag queen (Gaga pulls that off so well that people STILL think she has a penis somewhere). I'm still relatively new to their music, but I love Ditto's attitude (big girl in tight clothes OMG). WORK IT!


Favorite Video: Heavy Cross




  

(image from http://gossips.co.za/?p=198) 

 

 

Stay tuned for: Crazy Ladies I <3 Part II!

No comments:

Post a Comment